WordPress SEO are two big different concepts in the today’s world and when joined together they are even bigger in meaning and better for most of the people who want to expand their online business. For this, let us first individually understand WordPress and SEO.
WordPress is an open source community software which is available to all for free who are in the online business. It was formed in the year 2003 essentially to provide a platform to the bloggers to allow easy blog experience. With the passing years, the developers of WordPress expanded its functionality to allow the creation of more complicated websites and grow into a content management system. WordPress is based on a concept of the plugin which you can install when you create your own website. Plugins are a piece of software which is containing a group of functions which allows you to add more features and help you customize your website.
SEO is an acronym which stands for Search Engine Optimization which is a combination of strategies, techniques and tactics used to get more visitors on their website by getting a high ranking platform on the search engine result pages (SERP’s) like Google, Yahoo, and Bing. For your website to be high ranking it is essential to create a website that optimized code and formatting which makes it easy for the search engines to locate your website. Generally, it is said that if your site appears to be on the first page of Google then you are doing it right.
WordPress SEO is a concept which means when you create a website on WordPress, it makes sure your content is as per the SEO best practices. This makes your content or your site SEO friendly which in turns helps in generating more traffic on your website. However, when you are trying to optimize your content on WordPress to make it SEO friendly, there are certain challenges you can face. The reason why we are highlighting these challenges is to make your efforts more targeted and your content more SEO friendly. Some of the challenges are:
- Themes: Yes, themes play a major role in attracting more people to your site. There is a myth revolving around a theme that you need to pick the flashiest and attractive one. There are certain things to keep in mind before selecting a correct theme. A theme should primarily meet your needs and should come with a feature to update as and when time passes. Also, it should not contain garbage code that takes your website forever to load. Paid themes should always be opted as opposed to the free counterparts.
- The Plugin Game: SEO Expert suggests that adding too many plugins to your website will make your site slower to load. Adding too many plugins will consume many server resources. It is important to know that website which take too much time to load are ranked poorer since it does not offer a user friendly option. Plugins are updated on a regular basis in order to minimize the hitches caused by the bugs due to previous versions. Therefore, understanding which plugin is the most suitable according to your website will help you gain more attraction.
- Using too many linkages on Homepage: Links are a part of the themes and often tend to occupy a lot of place on your website making it look more cluttered and heavier to load. As per best practice it is advised by the SEO Experts to include not more than 20 links on a Homepage and can be stretched to 40 because there are certain internal links attached with the external links.
- Ignoring H1 Tags: H1 tags are what make your page unique apart from the others. But when the content increases, there are chances of duplicity of content which leaves you with no option but to use the same H1 tags. This alerts the search engines and makes it averse to your site, thereby not allowing for your website to grow and content coming in the limelight.
- Permalinks gone wrong: Permalinks is a permanent static hyperlink to a webpage or a blog page. Most of the online businesses fail to get this right. Your permalink should be clear enough as to what exactly you are talking about to the visitor. A typical permalink should be in the form of “/%category%/%postname%/“.
- Avoid Duplicate Content: Most of the bloggers try to make their content unique and different than the already existing. For this, make sure you have done a thorough plagiarism check so that visitors looking out for authentic content cannot help but read your blogs. This also helps you generate regular and reliable readers on a daily basis.
- Add Alt Text to images: Adding images which are relevant to your content will drive more visitors. However, it is essential to provide the keyword in the description of the image. This can be done by using the Alt Text option which helps you add text in the appropriate field before inserting an image on your blog.
We have tried covering the main challenges which we feel are the most important while creating your site. Make sure to keep this in mind, but also do not hold back those creative ideas that you wish to implement as an idea can definitely change your mind.
Rahul Ghundiyal is 4 years experienced person and CEO of RNG SEO. He loves his area of expertise and do work within his limits. Well Graduated Guy and looks to do good research while writing. He can be found on Facebook and Twitter.