New WordPress Theme: WP-DaVinci

WP-DaVinci is out latest offering to the premium WordPress themes world, and although it may not appear so on the surface, it’s far beyond anything we’ve put out in the past. WP-Davinci is our first attempt at creating a WordPress theme framework.

A theme framework is similar to a standard WordPress theme, except a framework is designed to be a flexible foundation to speed up theme development. It also makes it easier to update your theme whenever the need arises, such as when a core WordPress update impacts theme functionality. With a framework, updates can be done without messing up any custom modifications you may have made to the theme.

As I said, this is our first attempt at a theme framework, and we’re clear we have some work to do before WP-DaVinci can be considered a full-fledged theme framework. In the meantime, we want to get it into the hands of folks like you, and get some feedback on it as we continue to develop it over the coming months.

As it stands right now, what you have is a simple and elegant premium WordPress theme designed with efficiency and flexibility in mind. We’ve built in a few more options beyond what’s been offered in our previous themes, and here are some of the high points:

Multiple Page Layouts

If you take a look at the demo site, you’ll see there are 7 different page layouts, including 2-column, 3-column and full-width layouts. An added twist is that you can select your page layout site-wide via the theme settings page, or you can select it on a per-post or per-page basis from a drop-down box on the Add Post/Add Page console.

Featured Content Options

We’ve given you 3 different featured content options; a Featured Article slider, a Featured Videos slider and a Photo Galleries slider. You can add any or all the featured content to you home page (as shown on demo site), and you can also add it to an individual page or post via the Add Post/Add Page screen.

Banner Ad Integration and Management

There are several built-in banner ad sections that can be managed via the theme settings page. You can also manage the various ads on the Add Post/Add Page screen. That way, if you want a specific advertisement (different than the one set on your theme settings page) to appear on a specific post or page, you can simply add your banner ad code on the Add Post/Add Page screen when you create the post/page.

Pimped-Out Theme Settings Page

Yes, the standard Solostream theme settings page was due for a face-lift, and we gave it one. The new theme settings page is created with a jQuery tabbed navigation script to help shorten the height of the page, and it looks a whole lot prettier too (click the thumbnail to the right to get a shot of it).

Four Built-in Styles and Style Modifications via Theme Settings Page

You can see the four different built-in style on the demo site. In addition to that, on the theme settings page, you’re able to modify the look of the theme yourself. In particular, you can change the following items:

• Body background (color or image)
  • Body font and link color
  • Custom logo
  • Navigation bars background color and link color
  • Post title font and link color

That’s a brief rundown. Now head on over to the demo site and take a look for yourself. We hope you like it.

1. Michael says:

Sorry for my bad english. I am from germany. I use the davinci theme. How can i set an article (posts) to featured? My slideshow is empty.

Next problem: the featured pages. The text content is in the slideshow. But no picture.

What can i do to fix my two problems?

best regards from germany

Michael

2. mark says:

I am getting error on Chrome Browser after click to RSS feed button: “This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.”

Any suggestions how to fix it?

thanks!

mark

3. buzz says:

I like you theme and need to use for my new site.
    but i can not go to web :
    “http://www.solostream.com/wordpress-themes/wp-davinci/”

it is shown “done, but error on page”.

4. Shane S says:

I want to buy a single site license – and have the ability to remove the solostream name in the footer. I’m not a developer. You charge an extra $50 to buy the level that allows me to remove your name. Seems very steep. Any chance you will create another option for individuals that allows this?

• The Premium license allows multi-site usage as well. The Basic allows you to use the theme on only one site. We feel the $50 additional charge is more than fair. For example, if you buy 2 copies of the Basic License (for use on 2 different site), it will cost $158 versus $129 for the Premium multi-use license.

5. I said:Home: Wide Sidebar, Small sidebar, content, and the Article view. Small sidebar – content – Wide Sidebar

6. Showbiz says:

I said:

Home: Wide Sidebar, Small sidebar, content, and the
    Article view. Small sidebar – content – Wide Sidebar

7. Peter says:

Excellent Theme… just bought it. i’ll get a site live by the end of this week for one of my clients… well done.

8. Traci says:

I’m currently using WP-Clear on one of my sites and would like to upgrade it to the new DaVinci framework. Will things such as the thumbnails automatically transition in the new framework? That is really my biggest hesitation — I have a huge site and I don’t want to have to edit hundreds of posts.

Many thanks for any insights – another great design!

Traci

9. Nice theme! Is it ready for localization?

10. J. Medley says:

This theme really does it for me. I had to snag (purchase) it immediately. Happy Thanksgiving!

-J

11. Judith says:

Talk about a perfect name for a Framework! Any plans for an all-theme “developer” package?

Keep up the great work!

12. This look awesome! I use WP-Glide on WP Garage which is a great theme, so I’m looking forward to the opportunity to try out this theme on another site.

13. Kay says:

Hmmm. Forgive my ignorance. But what is the diff between wordpress as a cms and wp as a “framework”. I am not a coder or programmer but I do like the ease of use of well made theme.
    Still learning….

• It’s hardly a lack of ignorance on your part, Kay. When we talk about a theme framework, it’s usually stuff that only WP theme developers would know or care about.

Basically, a framework is a set of core theme files that serve as a common foundation upon which many different WordPress themes can be designed. It’s a bit like the engine in automobiles. Manufacturers use the same engine in many different styles and types of autos. So, while the outside of the vehicles may be much different, the engine itself is the same.

A theme framework is good for the theme user because when the theme’s core files need to be updated, the overall visual appearance is not affected.

With a standard WordPress theme, this is not always the case. A theme framework is also good for us because it makes it easier to develop new themes. It also makes it easier to update our customers’ themes when the need arises without messing up any custom modifications they may have done to their copy of the theme.

14. Paisley says:

As owner of 4 Solostream themes, this one is the coolest one so far. Again outdone yourself! It can only get better!

15. chris says:

nice work a must buy ;)

16. Hi,

I use WP-Prolific on my site. The theme worked very well for me (thanks). However, I would like to have the added functionality you have built into your new DaVinci theme. Will I likely have to do a lot of tweaking to make the transition? There’s minimal tweaking on the site now; all I can think of is I made the feature’s box a bit taller and added padding between the post headline and the teaser text … nothing that I’d have to bring over to the new site).

Will the transition likelyy be plug-and-play? Or should I be wary … I have a lot of content.

Best,

Michael

17. Ahmad says:

Welcome to wordpress framework world
    Very good step