Introducing the Solostream Premium Themes Membership (And Other Interesting Changes)

Over this past summer, we examined how best to improve our products and services for Solostream customers. We reviewed all aspects of our company including products, development, marketing, technical support, custom work support, communications, etc.

This self-examination led us to conclude that – while we’re doing a good job – there is definitely room for improvement. Therefore, as of today, we’re implementing some exciting changes that we hope will deliver overwhelming value and the highest possible level of support. Here’s a summary of the changes.

1. Solostream Premium Themes Membership

All our premium WordPress themes are now available exclusively via this membership option. This means that for one low price – starting at $59 – you can have access to all our premium themes. We consider this an overwhelming value because you can get all 20 of our premium themes for less than the previous price of a single theme. In fact, if you do the math, it works out to less than $2.00 per theme.

While your membership is active, you’ll have unlimited access to all premium themes, free theme upgrades and free access to our excellent support community. There are additional benefits available for customers who choose the Silver (6-month) and Gold (12-month) memberships. These benefits include:

• Free access to new themes (at least 1 new theme per month).
  • Access to Photoshop PSD files.
  • Special tutorials.
  • 20% discount on Solostream services, such as custom design work.

Click here to view a table with all membership options.

2. Solostream Themes Are Now Fully Licensed Under GPL

If you’re not familiar with the GPL (GNU General Public License), the biggest benefit to you as a customer is that you’ll be free to use your Solostream themes on an unlimited numbers of sites/projects. From our perspective, it brings our company and products more in line with WordPress – which is licensed under GPL – and we believe this will enable us to create new and more meaningful relationships within the WordPress community.

3. Support Forum Overhaul

While the present system has served our active community well, we’ve been searching for a tool that can provide our customers with better answers and faster delivery. Through our search, we discovered a relatively new tool called Zendesk, which we have been testing for several months with our custom work customers. The biggest benefits of Zendesk for you will be:

• When you type a question in the forums, this tool will search our knowledgebase/forums automatically and pull up related topics to help you find your answer as soon as possible.
  • As part of Zendesk, there is a ticketing system that will enable streamlined communications so you will be able to better track the resolution of your support requests and custom work orders.

Options for Existing Solostream Theme Owners

First, take a deep breath and have confidence that we’ve thought with deep concern about your situation. You will have the opportunity to choose from two options going forward.

Option 1 – Convert Your Existing License to a Membership

If you’ve purchased a Solostream theme in the past, you’ll have the opportunity to upgrade to the new Solostream Premium Themes Membership at a greatly reduced rate. We’ll be sending you a special Gold (12-Month) Membership upgrade offer via email later today, so watch your inbox for it.

Option 2 – Keep Your Existing License As It Is

If you prefer to keep your existing license with unlimited upgrades and lifetime support, you’re free to do so. The only difference that you’ll notice is that you will now need to use the new support system. A major plus will be the ability to login to the Solostream Member’s Area, and download the latest copy of a theme without having to make a request to the support team. We’ll send your login information via email later today.

Concluding Thoughts

We’ve provided a lot of important information to you today. We’ll continue to do our best to provide more details as we move forward, but we didn’t want it to be overwhelming at this time.

I was recently in a hotel undergoing a renovation that posted the usual “Please Pardon Our Appearance” signs in the lobby. As cliche as it sounds, we’re going to ask the same of you today. I hate doing it, but it accurately reflects the reality. We’re making all these changes to improve your experience with Solostream and WordPress, and we’re doing everything we can to mesh our new tools into a smooth running operation. We have made our best efforts to get it right from the start, but inevitably there will be a few bumps in the road. Please be patient.

Finally, if you want to get a sense of what this has all felt like for our team, pull out a copy of the movie Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure and remember to “be excellent to each other.”

Mike Durkin is CEO of Solostream. He is passionate about the power of publishing for everyone on the Internet. Prior to Solostream, he spent over 12 years working and consulting with various Internet and technology start-ups, with a focus on sales, marketing, and operations.

1. Felipe Veiga says:

That is a great news to hear. I believe that, for the customer, it is a positive change, as we can test more themes and see which works best on our site.

Could you please walk me through on how the subscribe option is better, financially to you, than the individual purchasing option?

2. Santino says:

I’m seriously thinking of subscribing but I’m really new at this. Can you tell me what advantages you would have for a newbie such as myself?

3. jmariedirect says:

I’m a new customer and one of the main reasons I signed up was because of the support and video tutorials. I’m not a designer and can use all the help I can get to make my site look up to date. Thank you so far for everyone’s feedback at Solostream.

4. Joshua Smith says:

My question is simple. If I purchase or subscribe to the solostream membership option and later download a theme, will I be allowed to remove the solostream footer link from the theme.

5. Mahdi says:

HI,
    Thanks for updating me about this. How may I upgrade to gold and how much it is?

Regards,

• If you login to the Member’s Area, you’ll see an upgrade offer. We’ve sent out your login information via email, but if you’ve not received it yet, send me a message (michael@solostream) with your full name, and I’ll look up the info for you.

6. didim says:

this is just amazing and hope will helps us alot because cant be with out solostream themes this days and well done guys.

7. Sud.Lamiran says:

great improvements indeed!

all i want is:
    please bring alive back
    the page/post for/about
    your first theme (WP-Mag) as I hardly to find it
    inside the site.

and give it update with new contents/videos

than you.

8. Tutspress says:

Greating news! I like new SoloStream design and updates.

9. The new pricing model is attractive. I think this will work very well for you and your customers.

10. Ramona says:

Congratulations! I hope I can manage it: “… all of our older themes will be completely redesigned to use the WP-DaVinci theme framework.” I have never worked with a framework. I use Polific on a membership site that starts in a few days. I may not have any breaks and trouble upgrading the theme ;) When do you present the first new theme?

• Thanks Ramona. The DaVinci framework is not much different to work with compared to something like WP-Prolific. It just has more and better functionality. We don’t have a date yet for the next theme release.

11. Ralf Kothe says:

Solostream will present from now every month a new theme?

12. I think this a great offer. I like the options. I’m not ready but glad to know it is available. Its a bargain.

Your support ROCKS! Thanks.

13. Jonathan says:

What do these changes mean for Solostream affiliates? Is the affiliate program gone?

• Jonathan, the affiliate program is not going away. It is changing to keep up with the new membership site. It will take us a few days to roll out the affiliate software (believe us, it’s at the top of the to do list).

Commission levels will be the similar to the present program. We just have to workout the logistics and then communicate to our affiliates how to set up and register for the new system.

Did you receive the personal email we sent you last week introducing these changes?

14. Charlie Russell says:

So, if I understand this:

2) Unlike before, we will not be restricted as to how many web sites we can use the themes on? I can use a theme to set up a blog for another company, a client of mine?

3) If our subscription lapses, we won’t be able to get updates or bug fixes (if you ever decide to do that) for themes that I purchased in the past? Or that I get with a new subscription?

Will you fix bugs in existing themes, moving forward?

• 1) We will no longer be able to access the support site unless we have a current, paid subscription? Unlike free access we had before? Wasn’t there a promise for free access to the forums for a purchase template, before this?

If you prefer to keep your existing license with unlimited upgrades and lifetime support, you’re free to do so. If you decide to upgrade to the Basic, Silver or Gold membership, support is provided only during your membership.

That’s correct. All themes are now licensed under the GPL.

3) If our subscription lapses, we won’t be able to get updates or bug fixes for themes that I purchased in the past? Or that I get with a new subscription?

That’s correct, but only if you upgrade to Basic, Silver or Gold membership. If you prefer to keep your existing license with unlimited upgrades and lifetime support, you’re free to do so.

Will you fix bugs in existing themes, moving forward?

Yes. Also, over the coming months, all of our older themes will be completely redesigned to use the WP-DaVinci theme framework.